View Single Post
Old November 2, 2015   #19
Zone9b
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by b54red View Post
I think your problem may be gray mold. I had it a couple of years ago in my bush beans when we had a lot of rain. Since then I have gone ahead and sprayed my beans with a copper fungicide whenever I am spraying my tomatoes and I also spray them with the dilute bleach spray whenever I see early symptoms of gray mold. Maybe it is something else but I would give it a try. You might also want to start using a liquid fertilizer like Texas Tomato Food every few weeks since your soil is even more sandy than mine. I have found it increases production greatly.
I have had the most success with fall beans using Maxibel.
Bill
I went to the extension agency today with bags of leaves, bags of plants and bags of bean pods. Their investigation was that yes there was mold on the leaves, there was rust on the provider beans pods but not so much on the jades which are said to be resistant to rust and there was no rust of the rattlesnake pods indicating that they may be resistant to rust. They thought a fungicide should be used on my next bean crop. Also, what I thought was nitrogen nodules on the jades roots they said were a result of nematodes. While the Providers hardly had any roots, so they obviously have no resistance to root knot nematodes. They also said there were aphids on the leaves.
So I guess I need to have a program to spray a fungicide, spray for aphids and pay better attention to selection of bean varieties which offer some resistance to nematodes, especially in the fall. Unfortunately there doesn't seem much up to date information of beans which are resistant to nematodes.
Thanks to all for your help, I truly appreciate it.
Larry
Zone9b is offline   Reply With Quote