View Single Post
Old August 13, 2013   #2
Tom Wagner
Crosstalk™ Forum Moderator

There ought to be some definitions accepted by all of the readers here. First of all ..somatic and filial don't go together.

Mutations are changes in a genomic sequence

Somatic mutations can occur in any of the cells of the body except the germ cells, thus a change in the genetic structure that is neither inherited nor passed to offspring

Acquired (or somatic) mutations occur in the DNA of individual cells at some time during a plant’s life. These changes can be caused by environmental factors such as ultraviolet radiation from the sun, or can occur if a mistake is made as DNA copies itself during cell division.

Again....Mutation is a change in a DNA sequence. Mutations can result from DNA copying mistakes made during cell division.......

Micro mutation as in a mutagenic event or in a simple deletion, insertion, or substitution of a gene.

Also..... Macro mutation as in a deletion of a part of a chromosome, a duplication of a part of the same. Inversions of a chromosome, or subbing part of a chromosome for another, and translocation of an end of a chromosome

Filial: generations of progeny in a genetic breeding project. One cannot have generations of progeny in a somatic breeding project

I am of the belief that all sorts of minor and sometimes, major mutations occur in segregating progenies, with all kinds of whole chromosomes from different parental backgrounds floating around in the production of ovules and pollen...the very imbalance of dissimilar chromosomes fosters the micro and macro mutations along with the simple re-assorting of the genetic material into alike alleles which increases with each filial level....theoretically. True breeding OP lines have less instability in the meiotic levels and micro/macro mutations have fewer opportunities.

True genetic mutations (deletion, insertion, or substitution) happening any time in the filial route to true breeding families of seed just makes sense and that one may wish to follow the filial levels out up to 8 generations to make sure the simple segregation and mutation fitness meld together as one. I base many of my true breeding lines as fixed if the important recessive genes are there. I do this quite often at the F-2/F-3 filials and the rest of the filials up to F-8 is just finesse. I never can be sure of anything...and trying to say exactly what is going on is mostly conjecture.

Bottom Line:
Somatic mutations cannot be kept going outside of cuttings or grafts. If it reproduces with the trait in consideration then it was not somatic.
Tom Wagner is offline   Reply With Quote