View Single Post
Old January 9, 2014   #74
Salsacharley
Tomatovillian™

Since I only have one year's experience at market selling I wasn't going to reply to your inquiry about pricing, but since nobody else has offered any thoughts I will offer mine.

I attended 3 different markets in my area and found the pricing to be virtually the same at all 3 markets, however the demand for varieties (I only sell tomatoes) was somewhat different.

I tried to sell at a higher price than the other vendors my first time and found out fast that I was unrealistic. The reality of what you can charge is based on what people will pay, not what you want to charge. If you would scout out other vendors' prices in your area you will find out how much the market will pay. If your product is historical or special you might be able to charge more, but I doubt manypeople are willing to pay much more than current market prices for whatever you present. You might have been pricing lower than the others and that's why you sold out so fast, or maybe your product was just that much better.

I do know that once my stock of tomatoes was sold down significantly on any given day, the customers seemed to pass me by because I looked pitiful trying to sell a dozen or so remaining tomatoes. At least I didn't have to turn 30 lbs of tomatoes into salsa that day!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsJustice View Post
We sold out- early last summer. Is it possible that my prices were to low. Were can I found a pricing scale for pricing "Historical Fruits & Vegetables.

Farmer, Joyce Beggs
Salsacharley is offline   Reply With Quote