View Single Post
Old February 14, 2015   #31
moray-eel-bite
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by drew51 View Post
What some people fail to grasp is many cash crops are domesticated plants that would not survive on their own. Farming is not natural in anyway. Nothing like it occurs in nature.
if it were not for synthetic insecticides we would have millions starving. I agree we have to change this, but denying it's true doesn't make it go away. I see little difference between organic or synthetic. For example I will not use neem oil because it decreases predatory mite populations by decreasing egg production and these mites do more to remove other mites for me than any artificial product. I use science to garden, not organics.
Actually, some insects do in fact farm. So it does exist in nature.
http://www.livescience.com/20316-fun...evolution.html
Also, there is a wealth of science that goes into organic gardening, so attempting to delineate the two is nonsense. Very well respected universities are beginning to have more and more research devoted to organic practices, and the most recent conclusion is that yields can in many cases be comparable to conventional systems (with the possible exception of grains or cereals), with the added benefit of not being an unsustainable practice.
moray-eel-bite is offline   Reply With Quote