View Single Post
Old October 21, 2019   #20
shule1

Some people use a blender on low for a couple seconds to remove the gel sacks. I've tried it, but it can destroy and chip some of the seeds (it works better for some varieties than others), but it's extremely effective at removing the gel sacks.

What I usually do is rub the gel sacks off in a strainer, put the seeds in empty labeled herbal tea bags, put the sacks in a widemouth quart or pint jar (with other seeds in herbal tea bags), zap them with my Z4EX (15 minutes per frequency), and set the herbal tea bags of seeds out to dry on brown paper bags in a room with a fan. Anyway, it's faster than fermenting, and I'm satisfied with the results. The zapping is an experimental precaution against disease and also helps to dissolve left over gel sacks debris that I miss. It just electrocutes the seeds with certain frequencies with square waves with a positive offset, and it releases antimicrobial copper into the water. The hypothesis is that the electrocuting removes pathogens, if they exist.

I kind of wonder if just freezing the seeds after they're dry would be enough to remove most diseases, though (many diseases die over the winter, anyhow). Maybe I'll test that without zapping seeds some year.

I'd probably ferment seeds more, but I don't have much room to do it (I save a lot of kinds of seeds). Plus, it's nice to get to eat the tomatoes.

Last edited by shule1; October 21, 2019 at 09:16 PM.