View Single Post
Old February 14, 2019   #15
oldman
Tomatovillian™

I'm sure that norther growers do get plants of named varieties with slight genetic variations that, even after a few seasons, better adapt them to a shorter season. Since I'll be working with so many varieties they're going to have to make those adaptions eventually. Starting some seed early indoors, and preparing well before planting out should give my plants some advantages. But they needn't adapt faster so long as they do adapt. If I get an increase in seed this year I'll consider my efforts successful. The differences between zone 5a and zone 5b are pretty slight, especially since overwintering isn't a requirement. I'm more worried that pest are likely to be a problem than I am about growing conditions

I'll put an order into Sandhill later this month. They grow in Iowa so should have seed preadapted for some of my local climate's quirks, but not all. I'm pretty sure all the seed I have will grow and have time to set fruit and develop mature seed. I'll just have to see what happens and hope to put that time to good use.

Last edited by oldman; February 14, 2019 at 04:45 AM.
oldman is offline   Reply With Quote