View Single Post
Old November 3, 2015   #11
ContainerTed
Tomatovillian™

After trying to "manage the herd" for a few years, I decided that the squirrels destroy more than I'm willing to allow. It ain't the few dollars, it's the time and work lost. So, while this place is a bird sanctuary, it is a squirrel, skunk, possum, and coyote horror movie.

Made a good long-range shot the day before my Chemo from 43 yards with my trusty Daisy .177 "pump it up" with a 4 power scope and round-nosed pellets. The flat end pellets don't seem to penetrate well and only wound at the lower velocities. So, round nosed pellets only.

I like the ballistics on the link that Scott gave. 1200 FPS is like upper end .22 caliber. I only get about 750 FPS with my hand pump Daisy.

And, like Worth, I'll eat all that I kill. We have lots of walnut, hickory, and acorn trees around and that maintains a steady population. But the squirrels seem to know that this patch of land is like a mine field. (Enter at your own risk.) A couple of years ago, they destroyed 16 walnut trees that took me all winter to germinate and get started. That was the declaration of war.

To cook one, I like to boil the pieces like you would a chicken for "Chicken and Dumplings". Only, don't leave it in there too long. Bring it out and lightly bread it. Slow roast with spices and whatever you like until browned and tender. Sausage gravy and home-made biscuits.
The Muddy Bucket Farm
and Tomato Ranch

ContainerTed is offline   Reply With Quote