View Single Post
Old April 13, 2014   #1
DonB5750
Tomatovillian™

Default Any thoughts on this container idea?

I've acquired (or tricked into taking) about 25 Banana boxes from a grocery store. These are rather thick and sturdy, about 4 ply...with a waxy type finish on them. They would hold I'm guessing about 10 gallons. They come with lids that have a 12x12" square hold in top of lid and the boxes have two large holes near bottom on each side. I was wondering what you guys thought of maybe using some of these to grow tomatoes and peppers filled with a 5-1-1 mix and some sort of pvc pipe for drainage and watering. I was thinking since they had the waxy finish, they might last longer outside and was also thinking of covering them with plastic trash bags taped around them and maybe lifting the lids up higher than where they would normally sit and duct tape lids to the box up higher to hold more soil. Anyone have any thoughts on this? if they just lasted a season, seems that would be ok to me. I've got about 84 heirlooms to put somewhere and i'm not about to try 'red-clay gardening again' or spend money I don't have on raised beds or earth-tainers.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Bananabox.jpg (23.0 KB, 222 views)
DonB5750 is offline   Reply With Quote