View Single Post
Old March 3, 2017   #205
Keen101
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by tedln View Post
Speaking only for myself, I sometimes wonder if it would be helpful to be color blind when judging the taste quality of various tomatoes. I wonder if my prejudice for red tomatoes ("it ain't a tomato if it ain't red") causes me to lower my estimation of the flavors of orange, yellow, GWR, black and other color varieties.
Interesting. I'm at the point where i am pretty much of the opposite. If it's a red tomato it automatically gets pre-judged as tasting awful and inferior. This is purely just because through my own experience with store tomatoes over the years that red tomatoes have been getting worse and worse. Especially if they are a pale red. So naturally i distrust red tomatoes by learned instinct now. That's not to say that i don't find reds that taste decent, but from a pre-judging perspective that's what i think of first.

I'm still new to world of tomatoes in general though, and i have little experience with all the different colors and flavors. But i'm working on my own tomato trials again this year which probably will turn into some sort of breeding effort to find and/or breed the kind of tomato i end up enjoying the most. From a color perspective i tend to like bold bright colors with maybe a hint of darkness. I'm investigating some oranges and some "black" varieties as well as some with wild heritage. It will be interesting to see which ones i eliminate and which ones i end up selecting over time.
Keen101 is offline   Reply With Quote