View Single Post
Old April 27, 2016   #49
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBig46 View Post
Tomato King Umberto is an ancient vegetable that dates back to the nineteenth century. The story tells how the name is a tribute to Umberto I of Savoy, when as King of Italy visited Naples for the first time in 1878.
Vladimír
Vladimir, I did find the glassine envelopes that Kath sent back with the several varieties that Roberta in Italy sent to me,and those will be offered in the next seed offer, and as I expected Umberto was not there and that because what she described was no different from what I already knew from other threads at other places..And especially the pictures and descriptions shown at Ventmarin in France.

And I did find Roberta's website as well

http://www.antichevarieta.it/pomodori.html

I already clicked on pomodori to show which varieties she is selling seeds for and you'll see mostly non Italian varieties and that's b/c she wanted to build a website with mostly non-Italian ones so that folks in her area had more access to them.

However,she grows all of her tomatoes at a farm where she says traditional Italian ones are also grown and that's where she got the ones she sent me.

At the bottom of the page is an e-mail link for her,so why don't you e-mail her,mention my name and see if she remembers me, I think she will,,and share with her your search for what you call original Roi Umberto and see what she has to say about that.

Hope that helps,

Carolyn