View Single Post
Old February 11, 2017   #19
MissMoustache
Tomatovillian™

Location: Cold hardy zone 4b-5a, Heat zone 4-5, Sunset zone 43

Quote:
Originally Posted by shule1 View Post

Anthocyanin tomatoes and tomatillos are supposed to have a storage advantage. I guess the anthocyanin may deter some rotting pathogens.
I can cofirm this from last summer. No idea which varieties though since the husband planted them for me after I sprained both wrists. I do think at least one of the plants was Lucid Gem.

We had three kinds of blue tomatoes in September 2016 that were picked green, blushing, and fully ripe. All kept for quite a while. (Longer than other tomatoes picked at the same time) The ripe ones we even took on a ten day road trip. We ate the last one the day we came home and it was only just getting a little too soft. No refrigeration or cooler and they did get a little beat up from being in a box with our cutting board, knife, and salt/pepper shakers. I think we took twelve ripe or almost ripe beefsteaks on the trip? Plus green ones for frying/grilling.

Sungold when picked green lasted until after Thanksgiving. I had two trays of them slowly blushing for months (I froze them as they ripened fully). Last time I grew Brandywine greenies lasted that long (2 plus months) slowly ripening.

gwendolyninthegarden.blogspot.com

Last edited by MissMoustache; February 11, 2017 at 02:06 PM.
MissMoustache is offline   Reply With Quote