View Single Post
Old August 30, 2013   #9
cythaenopsis
Tomatovillian™

One thing I'd like to add is that you should always keep in mind that whatever you add to the container reservoir will sit in there until absorbed. So, if you add a fertilizer infused water into the bottom, it will sit there for a good while (especially since most people add more water before the reservoir completely dries out). In time, the walls of the reservoir will become coated and it becomes an ideal growing condition for fungus and algae.

In dealing with a bout of fungus gnats, I'd been noticing rather large adults periodically emerging from the reservoir opening. While completely filling with water would flood the space, it wouldn't be very long before the level would drop and make it habitable again for the gnats. I discovered that they were likely munching on the copious stretches of fungus film coating the reservoir. The chambers were smelly and slimy (all 3 of them) and I thoroughly cleaned them out. I won't be frequently adding fertilizer in the bottom again.

So... something to remember. It's probably a good idea to clean it out every month or so.

Last edited by cythaenopsis; August 30, 2013 at 08:15 PM.
cythaenopsis is offline   Reply With Quote