View Single Post
Old October 23, 2012   #17
kilroyscarnival
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeroma View Post
Could I get a smoky flavor witout having 'a smoker"? I have "liquid smoke".

I have a dehydrator and about 8 pounds of Chocolate cherry tomatoes. It will be my first fime using the deyh. but have many more tomatoes coming. I'd love to do some different tastes. Or would it be better to add the flavors/spices/smoke/etc after the drying process when rehydrating them?

thanks
Off-topic in the drying thread, but how did you like the chocolate cherry? It is one of several cherries I am growing. Looked so good, but I hear more people talking about loving Black Cherry here.

By the way, if you have a regular charcoal grill, you can still add the smoke flavor. Make a small pile of coals (and don't use self-lighting coals, use good plain charcoal and start in a chimney starter) on the far side of your grill, and put a foil pan of soaked hardwood on that side. Put your tomatoes on the opposite side, and put the vent opening so that the smoke has to draw across them to get out the vent. You won't want terribly hot coals, just low and slow.

I would double-skewer the tomatos or slices, laying the skewers across the grates, so they don't spin around on one skewer or fall off. Or maybe use a fish/grilling basket?
kilroyscarnival is offline   Reply With Quote