View Single Post
Old May 24, 2016   #3
oakley
Tomatovillian™

We seem to be at about the same in temps though i had snow flurries but no accumulation last week. Advanced shows a steady rise the next ten days, two weeks.
My rhubarb is thigh-high and have harvested a few lbs. The younger transplants are knee high...yours looks like mine. Lilacs just at budding, no flower. Chives at flowering.

Rare that i plant out before the first of June. Any earlier, (and have done that with some percentage of my starts), ....no real advantage. Peppers i wait even longer, middle of June. They like heat so happier as 'house plants' till the soil warms up.

I still think it is worth trying a push as i've done so many times. Nights with a risk of dipping below 40 is just too risky for me. The battle is just too exhausting.

I have a coil of tubbing on a rock face connected to an outdoor shower that i can use to drip water the garden...never took its temp but very hot by late morning. We've had a wood-fired cedar hot tub for about 15yrs now. Gets away from us and easily 108 in a few hours so we drain 10-20 gallons and have to add cool spring water. That could easily be drained into my garden or into more pipe like a radiant floor concept. Win-win, spa and soil heat.
oakley is offline   Reply With Quote