View Single Post
Old November 28, 2016   #222
Sun City Linda
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by schill93 View Post
I have only 14 EB plus 4 Root & Veg Containers. But I also have about 20 very large planters which range from 15 to over 20 gal. I love the Earthbox concept, design and very good construction. However, last year I noticed that my large container's did better. I am in the intense desert heat here 110- 115 degrees here, and I think the taller container with heavy mulch works better here to maintain moisture and keep media cooler than the shorter EB. My tendency is to over water, so I had high hopes for the Root & Veg. boxes, but they are not the same animal.

Next year I am going to experiment with trying to heap on some mulch underneath the cover. Since we never receive very much rain here, the cover is not as crucial I don't think. I have even considered making a lip around the box with lawn edging in order to facilitate putting more mulch on top.
The Earthbox root and veg boxes are a failed attempt to turn existing planters into a SWC. They were released without testing and the drainage holes were drilled in the wrong place on many. Also the screen is thin and flimsy and will not hold up the wet planting mix. I bought 3. Fortunately, EB is refunding or replacing with the original EB, to their credit.
Sun City Linda is offline   Reply With Quote