View Single Post
Old January 17, 2016   #13
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus1 View Post
I used to grow op varieties of melons when I first started but anymore I grow nothing but hybrids. The biggest reason is production and appearance but I don't think there has been any sacrifice in flavor or sweetness. I've tried numerous varieties and try a few new ones every year. The claims about brix levels are as dependent on your growing conditions and methods as it is the genetics of the melons. Here are a few that my customers enjoy the most and ranked by my perception of sweetness and flavor.

cantaloupe, Hannahs Choice, Crescent Moon, Halona, Rock Star
honeydew, Honey Ace, If I could only grow one melon for me to eat this would be it.
annas, San Juan, Beautiful and so fragrant and sweet.
peil de sapo Lambkin

seeded watermelon , Jade Star red, Lemon Krush yellow, New Queen orange
seedless, Crispy Red, Orange Sunshine, 3521Y

I grow more varieties, these are the ones I consider the sweetest, My brother in law grows Roadside cantaloupe customers line up for them every day but they don't do well for me.

Marcus
I totally agree and was waiting for someone else like you to come along and say it so I wouldn't be all alone.
I dont care what melon you grow if it isn't grown right and picked too soon it wont be sweet.
I saw a woman in the store looking at cantaloupes one day she was about my age.

I asked her can you smell cantaloupes and she said no.
I then said then they aren't worth buying.
If people would complain and not buy them and just let them rot they would stop doing this to us.
I saw some pineapples in the store the other day that were as green as a gourd, I mean dark green not a speck of ripeness about them.

Worth
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote