View Single Post
Old July 28, 2016   #42
Starlight
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by NarnianGarden View Post
I have noticed that tomatoes are highly capricious as to where and how they thrive.

One rooted Azoychka branch I planted just for tasting one or two fruits, is thriving and pumping out tomatoes in a very small pot. Probably root-bound, it doesn't seem to mind - it's flourishing and the leaves & new growth are green.
It doesn't seem to mind whether under-watering, over-watering or watering at all.

Some of my plants are in large containers, properly planted and fed, and they have been harassed with BER, blossomd drop, and they're very stingy on top of that...
Barely ten set fruits in a large pot that should give it plenty of room.

That brings me to believe that container size isn't everything... One can do their best and try to give plants ideal conditions - as good as possible within limits -, and still, there are other variables as to what happens and how much fruit the plant decides to give.
I have to agree with Narnian that container size isn't everything. I grew everything in 3 gallon containers. Of course I had to water twice a day when the heat came on and kept a regular regiment of ferts and I had a jungle out there. The plants grew and grew and I had to get help with learning how to drop lines as the plants grew to over 7 foot tall and I wasn't climbing in the air to pick.

One thing I noticed is I don't reuse potting soil that I had for tomatoes, peppers or potatoes over gain for those crops. I re use that soil for perennial plants for repotting instead. I had disease free, bug free plants and tons of fruits and when I dumped pots I would roll the root balls to get excess soil off and usually had one to two pot gallons of soil that came back off the root balls.
Starlight is offline   Reply With Quote