View Single Post
Old July 23, 2018   #1
Greatgardens
Tomatovillian™

Default EarthBox Alignment?

My Earthboxes are on a stand that I built to make it easier on my back and knees, and also makes it easy to level the boxes and tie them down for storm protection. The wooden stand sets on regular concrete blocks so that the (treated wood) is not in contact with the soil. The stand should last indefinitely, and with weed-block fabric, I get very few weeds under the boxes.

The stand sets east-west, and that means that with two plants per box, I have a "north row" and a "south row" of plants. There is approximately 18" between the boxes. The north row generally has more fungal issues on the leaves, even when I have exactly the same variety on the north and south side of the box. The prevailing wind in the summer is usually from the southwest.

So I'm wondering -- do you think I'd be better off setting the boxes (not the stand) on an angle -- say 45-degrees. It should be a zero-sum situation (what I might add to the north row will be taken away from the south row), since the amount of sunlight is fixed. But setting them on an angle seems like it might better distribute the sunlight between the two rows. And perhaps might get more breeze to the north row, also. (?)

Or, I'm splitting hairs... what do you think?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg EarthBox stand.jpg (198.5 KB, 84 views)
Greatgardens is offline   Reply With Quote