View Single Post
Old June 29, 2016   #153
dfollett
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by mashermike View Post
I have a couple of interesting (to me) 13X-F3-2 regular leaf. My 13X plants were last to bloom. The second plant has slightly larger than average fruit size which I think Dan is looking for. I have some plants with very gnarly leaf structure as you describe. I probably should cull them out.
Interesting! This contradicts some assumptions I have had about the genetics of multiflora. Those two plants are from the same batch of seeds. The F2 was definitely multiflora - not as dramatic as your first photo, but certainly multiflora.

If that characteristic were controlled by a single recessive gene, the multiflora trait should be fixed in future generations. It appears it is not fixed. That means there is more in play than I thought. You have one multiflora-to-the-max and a sibling that is not. Someone who know genetics better than I needs to explain that.

One characteristic I have wanted to find is a micro (or very tiny dwarf) that has large fruit. I hope those keep growing a while before they ripen. If they do, I'd like a few seeds from them even if it isn't multiflora.

I'm also eager to see what the first plant produces. Great work Mike, and thanks for posting.

How many others of you have had non-multiflora plants showing up from the same batch of seeds as multiflora? Actually, everything I sent out was from multiflora, although there is quite a wide range from slight to extreme.

Last edited by dfollett; June 29, 2016 at 11:10 PM.
dfollett is offline   Reply With Quote