View Single Post
Old April 17, 2018   #60
bower
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch View Post
Way cool Bower!
I too sometimes use wood based materials that aren't always completely broken down. I generally add a fertilizer that is high in N (nitrogen) to the area that has the wood based materials in it. It's a offset thing because the wooden material will actually use up nitrogen as it completes its decomposition cycle. In the mean time the wood material is adding structure and helping to support the micro biology in the grow medium.
It can be kind of a "crap shot" (ie dicey) on how much of this or that to add and when, but I sometime like to play game.
Wishing you the best on your mix Bower. I find that soaking part quite interesting. Again way cool and thank you for all your posts.
Dutch
So interested to hear about that Dutch! I haven't tried the hugel thing so I am at the 'listen and learn' stage before I may give it a go. The things that work well in one environment don't always work for another - my main concern here in the woods is that the wood based materials would attract our worst pests - ants, carpenters, slugs - and provide a habitat for them in the containers. As with mulch which is so critical in other environments, it can be deadly here. But still I feel there must be a place for hugel somewhere on my land... It is a fascinating concept to me.
Since I'm pretty much fixated on using local available organic materials my mix is always a crapshoot too. I should be testing for pH at least but don't have a kit so I'm still winging it. I think I missed the mark last year with too much peat and didn't use enough lime.
Today I divided up the last year's container mix evenly at 2/3 full and started by adding a quarter cup of wood ashes to each and a gallon watering can each to get it soaked as it's all very dry and the sun is super hot down there today. Always hesitating with the wood ashes as I've forgotten how much to use, but as usual... wingin it! I don't think a bit of lime will hurt either. Way peaty. Next will be the kelp, and maybe the bit of dry chicken manure I have left, and the compost which I still need to pick up a few more bags. Hoping to get it warm and just right moisture wise in time to plant next week.
bower is offline   Reply With Quote