View Single Post
Old February 19, 2018   #69
pmcgrady
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by IMMAAT View Post
I am not a huge pepper list grower but the following base recipe which I have been making for the last decade and more keeps well(two years or longer) in a cool dark pantry. It does seem to reduce in heat over time.
Ingredients 250 grams fresh chillies,3 cups white vinegar,250grams sultanas,2tablespoons finely grated fresh ginger,4 cloves garlic peeled and grated,3 teaspoons salt, and 3 cups white sugar.
Method Put all ingredients in saucepan except sugar and simmer until sultanas are soft. Add sugar and stir until dissolved for another 15-20 minutes longer and puree in blender.
I then force through commercial sieve about 1/16 inch hole size and bottle into sterilised bottles.
I use all varieties of chillies. habernero, thai multi-colour, caroline reaper, cayenne, and others that I might be growing at the time. I grow Annaheim and use this to blend at different percentages with ultra hot varieties.
Some people have had luck making fermented hot sauce lately, done in crocks, oak barrels, pickle pipes or easy fermenters.. I'm going to go big on hot sauce this year, and give this recipe a try, it looks good!
pmcgrady is offline   Reply With Quote