View Single Post
Old February 8, 2007   #6
montanamato
Tomatovillian™

Mischka and Worth...Thanks for your comments....All my neighbors grow beans like weeds...I live in central Montana and have lived in other areas of Montana when I had great bean crops....My seeds germinate, but the center is not right...insect damage ? I haven't planted before mid May and the soil temps were already warm enough then to germinate corn...I left the innoculant in the bag last year and forgot to use it...I have used it in past years...Two years ago it was so hot I thought they were burning up and planted again(about June 15) in between my corn rows for shade...They did well until the second set of leaves and then all died...My soil is a bit clayey, but most areas of my garden have lots of good compost and drainage...I do sometimes get root maggot damge on my latest carrots...Otherwise all my vegies usually fare well....I had a major ag test done 2 summers ago and can't find the results any longer...but most everything was in normal bounds...My ph can run close to 8 in parts of the garden...My squash and melons go out the same time and do great, so I don't think it is too cool for them....My husband often added tractor loads of compost in the past and I was thinking I have some organism in the soil that is killing my beans...I am going to try a few in containers this year, but I know my friends are growing them in their gardens and I really like to save the containers for tomatoes and peppers...I may try amending a small area on the side of the house that isn't connected with the garden, but I know the deer will be horrid there....Thanks again.

Jeanne
montanamato is offline   Reply With Quote