View Single Post
Old May 3, 2016   #73
aftermidnight
Tomatovillian™

Jeannine, have you had any experience growing Sea Kale? I grew from seed last year, I only kept 5 and gave the rest away, the 5 plants came through the winter just fine but they will still be too small to harvest anything from them this year. I attempted Skirret, gave most of the plants away but lost almost the rest, they dried out while I was away. I ended up saving a couple of plants but at the moment they're pretty pitiful looking, I'll nurse them along and see what happens . If not I still have some seed left.

I planted 5 Broome Longkeeper potato onions this spring so I'm hoping they will produce for me, these are now near impossible to find so have my fingers crossed. I have a couple of top setting varieties, Catawissa and McCullar's White, still looking for Fleener’s, it seems to be hard to find too.

I'm growing 3 different varieties of Yacon this year, all in tubs as I have run out of space in my veggie garden which isn't that big. So far I have 12 tomato plants and a couple of dozen bean varieties taking up most of the space, I'm mostly interested in growing heirloom varieties but I do have a few that aren't.

Last year I grew over 40 varieties of beans ( my main interest) mostly pole types, some were only samples in tubs but managed to get a fair amount of seed from them. Some were from the UK, like the white seeded Cherokee Trail of Tears, Barry Island, District Nurse, Mrs, Fortune's and I just received a few Bridgewater in the mail, if I can find a bare bit of earth I'll put up another pole. Two pole beans I'd love to be able to find are 'Sarah's Old Fashioned Black' and 'Bob And Mary' as these two were grown on Vancouver Island in the past. The HSL in the UK has them but I think they are not offered often, besides you have to be a member .

Annette
aftermidnight is offline   Reply With Quote