View Single Post
Old June 11, 2015   #16
Misfit
Tomatovillian™

Lots of GREAT advice here AZ, nothing I would disagree with. I'll add my 2 cents; take it for what it's worth...

- Plan a face to face with the owner. Get more details on how he'll use your product, and maybe a general timeline. Face time with clients is very important in farm to table. Think of it more, as a partnership.

- Generally commercial tomatoes are sold by the case, 5x5, 5x6, bulk, etc. Cherries mostly come on flats. Heirlooms (for you) because of their different sizes would be better marketed in bulk case size, or maybe also half case as well. Bulk case weight is usually 25lbs. With out knowing the size of his restaurant (number of seats), and carryout business; I'll guess on the low side and say he'll need 25-50pds. a week.

- Offer herbs to go along with your toms.

- Network with other growers (suppliers) in your area, who are doing the same thing. Just like Tomatoville, people of like minds generally are willing to share their accomplishments, and hurdles along their path.

Looks to me like you've done your homework, and have long and short term goals, which is a great start. Best of luck in your endeavors, and happy growing!

-Jimmy
Misfit is offline   Reply With Quote