View Single Post
Old May 3, 2009   #6
huntoften
Tomatovillian™

Nice greenhouse...is that the Harbor Freight kit?

As for raised beds...I've almost got my entire garden turned into raised beds now. Some are 10 foot long, some are 14 and some are 16 foot. My paths are covered in landscape fabric and a layer of mulch...I refresh the mulch a little each year.

I haven't fired my mantis tiller up once this year. The only time I plan on using it is for the remaining section of the garden I still have in the ground and walk on. All of the beds have amazing soil...a huge worm population, light, fluffy, very fertile soil. All I do is remove the mulch, run a rake over it and I'm ready to plant.

Having as many beds as I do makes it easy to rotate crops from year to year. Beds are dedicated to a particular group of plants each year and I never have to plant the same thing in the same bed from year to year.

They are a lot of work to install and fill, but once they are established...they are extremely low maintenance and highly productive. The only changes I can see me making to them is to raise the height over the next few years...as I get older, it would be great not to have to bend over so far

If I had that big patch of yours next to your greenhouse, I'd have it covered in 3-4 foot wide raised beds!