View Single Post
Old April 23, 2017   #30
bower
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nematode View Post
Gilled mushrooms freak me out a bit. I have grown quite fond of my liver and kidneys.
I hear you there. One of the groups of gilled edibles that are quite common here are the Tricholomas. Man on Horseback, for example, is common and can be abundant. I have eaten them and they are delicious and the next thing to a matsutake, but easier to come by. The trouble is, all their close relatives that can be deadly poisonous are also as common... if you're not very careful, you could be mistaken in a really bad way.

There have also been reports in recent years, that put some mushrooms in that group into a hazardous category after some poisonings were reported. No one is really sure whether there could be gene transfer from a poisonous relative to a mushroom like Man on Horseback, and cause it to produce those potentially deadly toxins. Or as the wiki says, maybe there are several species that look identical, one happens to be poisonous..
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tricholoma_equestre

Cortinarius is another group with potentially deadly poisons. The Gypsy Rozites caperata is common here and is the only one related to that group worth eating ever IMO. But it also has deadly lookalikes, so never collect them thinking the ring has fallen off or eaten by a bug.
Anyway the Gypsy is another one that is just riddled with bugs from the get go here. Have to eat them immediately after picking, don't bother to keep for a day you'll just be grossed out and it'll be tossed out!
bower is offline   Reply With Quote