Thread: New garden 2018
View Single Post
Old March 18, 2018   #15
kath
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by taboule View Post
Thanks for your comments.

Nan, did the newspaper trick work keeping the old grass from growing through? I'm ready to use a heavier paper, but a single layer because I'd have to buy it. Not sure where to get old newspaper from, I've gone digital ages ago. Probably from a library, but DW may object at using newsprint -although she tells me of her early time in the UK seeing people eat fish-and-chips wrapped in old newspaper.

Salsacharley, your experience is what I'm fearing, and wish to avoid -glad I asked. I want to keep the height of the beds down, for the few cases when one of us has to step in a bed (a very rare occurrence, to minimize compaction.) I dont know what kind of grass we have, will try to find out. I have some time to research this issue and will check with my landscaper. Worst case, will have it peeled of, at extra cost.
I started an area of my garden on top of the existing vegetation years ago. The first layer was cardboard, 8 layers of newspaper or a couple layers of paper grocery bags; next were alternating layers of leaves, grass clippings, compost, spoiled straw/hay, and whatever soil we could find and was over 20" high. The only thing that ever came through was one type of plant that spread by stolons. It was only in one area and we yanked out whatever showed up for 2 years and haven't seen it since. I planted in it the first year by placing a shovelful of dirt and planting a seedling in it and stuff grew fine. Lasagna Gardening was the inspiration.

Not sure how much relevance this has to your situation but figured I'd share it anyway.

Wishing you the best in your new home and garden~

kath
kath is offline   Reply With Quote