View Single Post
Old March 12, 2006   #5
MsCowpea
Tomatovillian™

Carolyn, I usually find commericial brochures written for the certified organic gardener very helpful as the products are available to the homeowner as opposed to brochures written for the regular farmer where most chemicals (not all) are restricted use. Plus they think outside the box.

Teacher Mike--in case you don't wade through the whole thing these are some of the things mentioned a home gardener could try.

-mulching with wheat or rye straw (boy that's easy)
-borders of plants that attract natural enemies
-rotenone/pyrethrin combo. (last, last resort-used by less than 10% of certified organic farmers)
-neem
-pyola
-san diego bt (larval stage only)
-certain herbs that repel (no supporting research though)
-the vacuum thing could be accomplished as carolyn mentioned by simply picking them off

--the one thing I find the most interesting is Mycotrol (beauveria bassiana) -I have researched this in the past and desperately wanted to try it (for thrips), but could only find it in a large containers for a great deal of money. Hoping they will package it in smaller quantities. Big plus-It replicates in the environment.

-finally beneficial nematodes

((I found the trench business fascinating--did not realize they they could be trapped like that. They don't really explain the flaming technique very well--I saw it demonstrated during an Organic Gardening class offered by the U of Fl. and will get one of those flame throwers for an anniversary present or something. ))

"When we kill off the natural enemies of a pest we inherit their work."
Carl Huffaker
MsCowpea is offline   Reply With Quote