View Single Post
Old June 15, 2018   #11
b54red
Tomatovillian™

It looks from the picture that you might also have some fusarium wilt starting in the stem. I feel for you with the devastation that Bacterial Wilt brings to big healthy tomato plants. I have lost plants to it for decades but have not had a case in three years since I started using RST-04-106-T root stock for my grafting of tomatoes. I don't know if I have been just lucky or it is that resistant to Bacterial Wilt. Keeping my fingers crossed that I don't have any more problems with it.

Before I started grafting when a plant came down with Bacterial Wilt I would pour a gallon or two of diluted bleach and soak the soil before I would pull the plant. I planted back in the same spot a few weeks later and had no problems with Bacterial Wilt in that spot so maybe it works. I do know that I did it every time I had a plant come down with it after that and my incidence of Bacterial Wilt decreased over the course of a few years.
Before I started using the RST root stock, but was grafting to other root stock I did have a few cases of Bacteral Wilt.

I did notice that it seemed to hit more often after a good rainy spell when the ground was good and soaked. I never saw it in the fall of the year when conditions were usually dry and cooler.

Bill
b54red is offline   Reply With Quote