View Single Post
Old December 20, 2018   #37
Tormato
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by ContainerTed View Post
With respect, I'm sitting here thinking about all the great tomatoes you are missing. My first GWR that I truly liked was from the dwarf project and it changed my mind forever on the subject. I had tried Cherokee Green, but Kelly Green and Emerald Giant were the real mind changers. After that, I discovered a whole new universe of flavors. And, just for the record, Black tomatoes are actually mostly purple tomatoes to me. The most recent ones are usually just a pink or red with a lot of antho in the skin.

So, Tormato, for someone who distributes a lot of happiness to other with your MMMM project each year, I feel a bit sorry for you with your world of tomato likes limited like you say. But, in the end, what a person likes or doesn't is purely a personal quality that mustn't be diminished by others. To each his own.

Again, as I said, with respect.

Don't feel sorry for me. I've trialed more than 1,000 varieties, with usually 50 to 100+ new ones added every year.

It's the "earthy" flavor of many, but not all, black (purple, as you say) tomatoes that I dislike. Cherokee Purple, for example, is a great tomato without the earthiness, in my garden.

And, it's the "spicy" flavor of many, but not all, green tomatoes that I dislike. Green Giant, for example, is great tomato, in my garden.

I'll keep trialing them, and likely not like most of them. And, I'll keep trialing all the other sizes, shapes, colors, etc...maybe with the exception of very early (~55 DTM, or less) determinate tomatoes. With those, I've yet to find a single one that I consider to have very good flavor.
Tormato is offline   Reply With Quote