View Single Post
Old November 10, 2016   #4
b54red
Tomatovillian™

Those look very nice and I am also still getting some really nice looking tomatoes but they are now taking a long time to ripen evenly. Mine are a bit tangier than in the summer but still good. I know this will end suddenly with a real cold front coming through before too long even if the drought doesn't kill them all first.

This year Indian Stripe PL, Spudakee, JD's Special C Tex, and Arkansas Traveler have been really bountiful in the fall for me. I usually have really good luck with Berkeley Tie Die Pink but this year my grafts with it didn't succeed so I didn't actually have any to plant this summer for the first time in years. Many of the black tomatoes are very successful in the fall like Carbon and some of the ones mentioned above as long as you don't have too much rain which is a rare thing in the fall down here. I always plant a mix of pinks, reds and blacks in my plantings after April so I will have some that will do well no matter what the weather brings in the fall. Usually the black tomatoes surpass the others but occasionally you get a wetter and cooler late summer and fall and it is good to have some varieties that handle those conditions better.

Bill
b54red is offline   Reply With Quote