Old January 14, 2008   #9
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by kktwahoo View Post
Worth,

Try me, I might believe you!
Well here it goes,
I have always had a special relationship with critters, wild and tame and here is a good example.
Many years ago my wife and I used to go fishing at a place called Barefoot fishing camp at a place called Bend Texas on the Colorado River.
The people that owned it really were named Barefoot.
My folks have known this family for over a hundred years.

We would put up a tent and build a cooking fire and I would put out limb lines and trot lines for catfish.
After all of that was done I would go on a walk.
In the woods along the river you could hear the, what I call Hoot Owls popping their beaks in the trees it’s a noise they make when you are intruding on their territory and they have babies.

One ole Hoot Owl was in the trees and it was popping its beak at me and following me very close.

Then I looked on the ground and saw a baby Hoot owl all tangled up in some briers under a huge tree and there was no way it or the mama could get it out.
I could see the nest way up in this big tree so I got a long stick and proceeded to rescue the baby.
The baby was about half grown and could not fly; it still had its pin feathers.

I pulled and cut the briers back and away so the baby could get its claws around the stick.
During all of this time the mama Hoot Owl was flying around and popping its beak, she was very upset as she thought I was going to eat her baby.

After I got the baby to get on the limb I set the limb down in the middle of the trail and walked away about 30 feet.

The mama Hoot Owl flew down and nuzzled the baby and checked it out.
Then she stood there by the baby and looked at me and HOOTED like she was thanking me.
She didn’t even act scared of me anymore.

She took the baby and flew back to her nest and stood there and hooted again.

I never heard another beak popping the whole time I was in the area after that.

I really do believe that she knew I was no threat to her baby after that and I was welcome in the area.

Many times I have heard from other people my grand father could stand out away from other folks and wild birds would land on him.

I have had a lot of strange bird and critter experiences in my life.

Weird but true.

Worth
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote