View Single Post
Old July 22, 2007   #73
elkwc36
Tomatovillian™

Just found this thread tonight. Interesting as I've lost several plants with TSWV this year. By far the worst I've ever had it. I had one row with onions on each side and the other row had onions on one side. These two rows accounted for 33 out of 86 plants. But 16 of the 20 I've lost so far to TSWV was from these two rows. Some say the onions are a host for the thrips. Some say I have onion thrips. The row with onions on both sides I lost 10 out of 16. It may all be a coincindence I'm not sure. Most of the onions are ready to pull anyway so going to pull all and see if that helps. I have read several articles on the internet. Have sprayed with a permethrin spray one recommended on some and it seems to of slowed down the spread. Maybe another conincidence. I was at the point I had to do something. I probably left a few too long wanting to get fruits from some to save seeds but the majority I pulled fairly quick. It is a helpless feeling. And most of the ones I pulled had fruit on them. Some were loaded. I may try the foil some but like others most of mine are tall now except for the sprawlers. And it was them that I lost the most of. Best wishes to all on avoiding it. Jay
elkwc36 is offline   Reply With Quote