View Single Post
Old July 15, 2017   #44
b54red
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by SueCT View Post
Well, after I added the plain soil to decrease the the % organic matter, I did add more the next year in the form of a soil/compost mix and was much happier again, but I have not used fertilizer at all I don't think since the soil test which was 3 years ago. I can't remember if it was in a cover letter or verbally told to me that I had too much organic matter, but I did go back and find the original results which don't seem that bad to me right now. Organic matter was "Medium High", I think there may have been a percentage at one time, but not on the remaining email I have. I think I was given more detailed information and recommendations in the letter that was mailed. That doesn't sound that bed. pH 6.4, which actually is almost neutral although for tomatoes slightly more acidic would be better, but its not horrible. Nitrate V Low, 1 ppm; Ammonium Nitrate Low, 12 ppm; Phosphorous Med High, 50 ppm; Potassium V High, >250 ppm; Calcium V High, > 1600 ppm (no problems with BER here, lol); and Magnesium, V High >125 ppm. If I get it retested, it will be interesting to see if anything has changed. I understand Nitrogen tests are not very reliable. Anyway, now I have the results here so I can hopefully find them easily later, lol.

So anyway, likely additional nitrogen wouldn't hurt, although the plants look OK. I suspect the anemic looking leaves when I first plant might be because there is not a lot of nitrogen in the upper most layer of soil which has the most recently applied compost in it, but when the roots reach down deeper they might find more nitrogen where the organic matter has broken down more. Just a crackpot theory from someone with very little knowledge of soil chemistry, lol.

Thanks for all your input, it has helped.
The same outfit that makes TTF also makes a Vegetable formula that is higher in nitrogen and does wonders for heavy feeders like broccoli, cabbage, spinach, and etc. It is also a great booster to use the week or two after plants are set out to get them growing and looking better. I use it on tomatoes until they start blooming heavily and use it all season on peppers which seem to love it. When using it on newly planted young seedlings I use the 1 1/2 tsp or 2 tsp to the gallon the first time. I also use it on my older tomato plants after that first month of big fruit production to get the plant going good again after it gets so depleted from heavy production. The new Vegetable formula that they have is fantastic on things like cucumbers, squash and melons along with almost any colder weather crop. I just got in two gallons for fall and all those fall and winter crops which I will be starting seed for in another month.

Bill
b54red is offline   Reply With Quote