View Single Post
Old June 11, 2015   #14
Dewayne mater
Tomatovillian™

Love Pizza Bianco! Fabulous food and they seem to have specials for what is really fresh right then. It was local asparagus last time I ate there which was in March - best asparagus ever!

That said, I'd be somewhat surprised if pizza places would really appreciate heirlooms and be willing to pay top dollar for them. They usually have such a high percentage of water/gel that they can be difficult to use in pizza and aren't as good in sauce as San Marzanos, in my opinion. That said, I think they are pretty fabulous if you cut them up, drain the juices really well and make on a homemade crust with fresh mozzarella and basil. Getting so hungry now!

I befriended a young successful farmer at our local farmer's market and he takes the approach of growing heirlooms and more rare/foodie type products only. This enables him to sell to the high end restaurants who are willing to pay top dollar for high quality products. He would not still be in farming but for this because there isn't a lot of money is most farming. But, when he can sell all the heirlooms he can sell for top dollar, that is a game changer. He does this with lots of heirloom foods and micro greens. The high end places will pay top $ for high quality, because they can charge enough to more than get their money back. Good luck.

Dewayne mater
Dewayne mater is offline   Reply With Quote