View Single Post
Old July 8, 2018   #200
TomNJ
Tomatovillian™

Hi Shelly,

You must have come home via Rt 81, so you passed just 20 minutes from my house. Would have loved to have you stop by and see the garden! It always looks so good this time of year (see photos).

As I posted earlier, my onions were affected by the early wet weather and got some kind of fungal disease, but recovered nicely with only a 10% loss. Then two weeks ago they got a foliage blight - not sure if it was related to the original infection or not, but fortunately the bulbs were full size when it struck, so I started harvesting this past week. My Candy onions are pulled and mostly 3-4"; the Copra will come in today and are not far behind, so I have enough to get me through the year (about 400).

Garlic in the next bed over was not affected and are looking good. I have about 200 pulled and another 350 to go. I dig them individually as they hit my criteria of four mostly green leaves. And the rest of the garden is also on target, except for the cauliflower which refused to head, and the corn which got attacked by critters. I had to plant the corn three times and still have only about half that made it.

The tomatoes are looking good and full of green fruit. Looking forward to canning salsa, sauce, and soup later this month. Today I will harvest beans, beets and cucumbers and make some borscht and pickles.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg TS8_2948bs.jpg (560.8 KB, 75 views)
File Type: jpg TS8_2951bs.jpg (560.9 KB, 74 views)
File Type: jpg TS8_2943bs.jpg (461.3 KB, 74 views)
TomNJ is offline   Reply With Quote