View Single Post
Old March 28, 2013   #8
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by chancethegardener View Post
LOL Carolyn, you are definitely one of the volunteers. In fact, I am planning to send most tomato varieties to you first. I copied and pasted that list from one of the documents I have had and I think I created another list which I cannot find right now . Hopefully, I haven't forgotten to add other names but I am updating the list now. I think I will also add Craig to the list because I know that he is growing Turkish varieties for you (please correct me if I am wrong).

I am currently offering Ludmilla's Red Plum (very limited quantity since %90 of my grow-outs are Turkish varieties right now) but the three varieties you mentioned definitely qualify.

As I mentioned you before, I am growing a yellow Georgian variety right now. Also, a friend (a math professor from Turkey) sent me an Afghani variety of which seeds were given to him by one of his students in Turkey. I am very excited about this one.
Plus, I have finally obtained seeds for Bulgarian from Cerkezkoy (Çerkezköy'lü Bulgar). This is the first heirloom tomato from Turkey for which I have found out a relatively more detailed story. It was grown by Ms. Hafize Balic from Cerkezkoy district of Istanbul for over 60 years until her death. Originally a pink variety from Bulgaria.

Also, you are right about starting the venture being a huge step or should I say a tall psychological barrier? I am glad that I have passed that level because it wasn't easy for me. I wouldn't be able to do it without my wife's support.
Chance, just to clarify, Craig doesn't grow to maturity plants from the seeds for varieties I send to him, he just grows seedlings for me and then ships them up here to me where hopefully Freda will again be tending them this summer.

From time to time Craig has grown to maturity some I send to him but that's rarely the case since most of what he grows are the Dwarf varieties and the ones he's going to sell as seedlings at the Raleigh Farmer's Market.

Carolyn