Thread: New High Tunnel
View Single Post
Old February 3, 2016   #15
PureHarvest
Tomatovillian™

Cole, go to rimol.com
You can get a 22x48 which includes frame (including endwall brackets, and two layers of plastic (plus inflation fan) and all hardware for $3,300.

As far as people wanting to know about grants:

There is a USDA NRCS (natural resources conservation service) office in every state. Some states have one in every county
The EQIP program pays for high tunnels. You have to be an ag producer OR show that you have the potential to become an ag producer. Also the FSA (farm service agency of the USDA) has to have your land in their mapping system and assign you a farm and tract number. This step is easy.

So, if you are in a suburb and a hobbyist, you are out of luck.

This year's high tunnel program in my state pays $2.91/sqft if you are a regular farmer. It pays $3.50/sqft if you are a beginning farmer (less than 10 years reporting farm income on taxes) or are a historically under-served individual (minority)/veteran of war.

So a 22 x 48 would pay you $3,072 if you are a regular farmer, or $3,696 if you are new or under-served/vet. And it is flat rate, meaning you get all the money and keep anything above your cost of material. But you must install the size you apply for.

I am an Agricultural planner, so I swim through these details all day long
PureHarvest is offline   Reply With Quote