View Single Post
Old March 24, 2017   #18
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

What I think you all are talking about is drying them on a ristra or something similar? For me, it's too humid here to do that and expect a high percentage to actually dry and not mold first. I have a setup for drying peppers on a ristra, and it is fun, but being that it is too humid here - I used that setup for hanging Elephant Garlic instead last year. I had 100% germination doing it that way.

The way I dry peppers is to use an oven. I've never met a pepper I couldn't dry that way - even bell peppers. The easiest/fastest peppers I've ever dried are Shish!to and Banana. You would surprised how good those taste in the form of chili powder. It also makes your house smell very good slowly drying in an oven.

Another way to dry peppers is using your smoker. Mine is a 30-35 gallon drum smoker that I use seasoned oak along with a few green oak sticks. Use an offset fire around 250F and keep it going steady. Again you can dry and smoke any type of pepper that way.

I saw mention of drying peppers whole. I haven't tried that. I cut ours in half lengthwise.

Either method is not quick, but it's worth the time and effort.
AlittleSalt is offline   Reply With Quote