View Single Post
Old September 1, 2017   #4
crmauch
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfollett View Post
That is the same notion I have. However, shouldn't the fruit from an F1 all be the same? In most of the crosses I have, one or both of the parents are themselves not stable. In that case, seeds from different F1s will have different potential but all seeds from any given F1 will have the same potential - correct????
If the parents are not stable then definitely different F1s may have different potential, but in general all seeds of a given F1 will have the same potential.*

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfollett View Post
Perhaps the number of locules is more environmental than genetic. If that is the case, the seeds from the different fruits all have the same potential.
That's what I believe. Now I think there are (on some of the smallest cherries) where the plant never has more than 2 locules, but on a lot of cherries 2 to 3 is common. I think this means the plant has a 'weak' active lc gene, but that would be in all the fruit/genetics of that plant.

*The only thing that *might* be exception is if a branch formed on a plant that all the tomatoes on that branch were different from the main plant. In that case, the changed genetics "might" be able to be passed on to its progeny. Plants have 3 layers of meristem tissue, and if the mutation is not in the layer from where flowers are formed, the mutation is not passible via breeding [I'm assuming a lot of this from reading about apples which are grown in vast quantities of clones and occasionally a favorable mutation is found which is then propagated into new orchards.]

My caveat: I'm only an enthusiastic amateur. Anything I said here might be wrong.
crmauch is offline   Reply With Quote