View Single Post
Old January 14, 2017   #59
oakley
Tomatovillian™

More clam chowder recipes up EasternShore, NewEngland, Atlantic Maritimes, Newfoundland...than feral cats.
I don't see chowder wars anymore. Not like the LobsterRoll wars or the TexasChili wars.

We just makes it like we likes it.

Fat back, salt pork, scrunchions, cast iron pan fried slow. Bacon will work in a pinch. But cut off most of the lean meat and save for Sunday eggs.
drain and set aside for garnish. Pour off most of the pork fat leaving a bit for the miropoix.

Tbsp butter, leeks, celery, white onion, pinch finely diced habanero, parsley(not much) and finely diced sweet red pepper(not much). Shot of vodka per quart. I never make more than 2 quarts. If i have that many people i switch up to a mixed fish stew like a bouillabaisse.

Fresh made fish stock, whole milk, chopped fresh clams and their juices. -can is fine

-White wine does something odd to clams and oysters. Brings out a metallic taste. Just too hard to find the right one so i avoid it for any brothy cream chowders. Tomato chowders can handle the wine fine.

No carrot, No OldBay, No flour. We like brothy chowders using a flavorful stock, Not chicken broth or bouillon
And it is not called ClamGravy. So many are as thick as wallpaper paste.

Start another batch of scrunchions because we ate the first batch....
Garnish with scrunchions and parsley, sea salt at the table. I make my own but Maldon is a good one.
Oyster cracker at the table, Westminster. Homemade crouton will work in a pinch.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Iq7tDudDsbg

Last edited by oakley; January 14, 2017 at 08:39 AM.
oakley is offline   Reply With Quote