View Single Post
Old February 16, 2018   #15
saltmarsh
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryHaskins View Post
Thanks saltmarsh, BigVanVader, and SueCT.

Saltmarsh, that's a mighty big planting, but what I did this week is pretty similar on a much smaller scale. You must be growing for commercial sales. Is that grass between the rows in this photo?

http://tomatoville.com/attachment.ph...2&d=1459661039
Jerry, I grew up on a truck farm in the 50's and 60's. Started peddlin' vegetables when I was 8 years old. I grow these for my own use and give the rest away.

About the grass in the middle.

It's the only fertilizer I use.

It acts as a living mulch; keeps the ground cool and retains moisture.

When it rains, it slows the water down allowing more to soak in.

When it floods (my garden floods 4or 5 times a year), it allows the excess water to drain quickly without erosion or damage to the vegetables.

It isn't just grass; it is mixed with every weed that surrounds the garden (except Johnson Grass and Burdock root, which were dug up and removed before the garden was first planted) The weeds act as companion plants for the vegetables. I spray my vegetables with a garlic/pepper tea to repell and confuse insects. I don't spray the grass and weeds; so the bugs prefer the grass and weeds.

We have heavy dews most mornings, so the grass raises the humidity around the vegetables for a large part of the day.

So I guess it is grass in the middles. Ha. Claud
saltmarsh is offline   Reply With Quote