Thread: Bonny Best
View Single Post
Old March 1, 2011   #2
Stepheninky
Tomatovillian™

My understanding is that Bonnie Best ( aka Bonny Best)and John Baer are both op selections of Chalk's Early Jewel. So what I am saying is that they share Chalk's Early Jewel as a parent and are similar and some say indistinguishable from each other. (pretty sure they were released by two different seed companies and or breeders) I have only grown out Bonnie Best which was a very well producing tomato for me and flavor wise it was tomatoey (lol) not sweet but tasted fine sliced though it is more of a canning type and it did well for me in that regard, canned them and also made salsa with them and also used them with my paste in sauces. So I guess really it is a great all purpose tomato. Self life was semi long on the counter and I guess as a negative they are smallish 6oz or so and the peelings are fairly thick but again if you are canning them or using them in sauces the thick skin makes them easy to remove.
Also they are 80 DTM so I guess that could be a negative. ( though mine were earlier than the 80 DTM from transplant)

Disclaimer: I am not an expert so just giving you the best answer I can as a laymen and sharing my experience from what I grew.