View Single Post
Old April 30, 2018   #12
svalli
Tomatovillian™

I did also remove the leaves on the top of my garlic beds on Saturday, when it was first time since the snow has melted that I got to visit there. Siberian, Kolkja's Red Russian and Kolkja's Purple had the strongest and most shoots under the mulch.

When I planted the garlic last fall I did not have enough cloves to plant whole of the second bed. Even the ground is still mostly frozen it was soft underneath the black plastic, which had not been planted and mulched. So I planted 64 of the pre-sprouted Silverskin cloves from Rootrainers to the empty area. Those have already couple of green leaves and the temperature may still drop to -2°C during nights, but I think that the garlic plants will survive. I do still have some plants home, but since I did not know if the ground would have been soft enough, I did not take them with me. There is still room for 144 plants, so I will plant those next time I get there.

I think that garlic could have survived here the last winter without any additional winter mulch, since we had quite thick snow cover, when the temperature was below -20°Ć. I went to check the last years garlic plot in the middle of a field and found 16 nice sprouts, which I also transplanted to the empty end of the new bed. Those were such that were planted last spring and had produced only small rounds and the leaves must have withered before I harvested.

Sari
Attached Images
File Type: jpg garlic beds 28042018.jpg (251.7 KB, 41 views)