View Single Post
Old January 11, 2019   #24
GoDawgs
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenthumbomaha View Post
I keep starting spreadsheets and putting off finishing.
That was me when I first started with the spreadsheets. But by sticking to it, after a few weeks updating it becomes automatic and somewhat addictive!

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenthumbomaha View Post
Your soil looks so rich and friable. Do you use wood chips for mulch in all your beds, or customize according to crops? Cover crops? Compost? Now that is GREEN, not a yellow leaf in the bunch!!!
Actually, the soil is rather on the sandy side which makes for watering more often. This is an "equal opportunity" garden... all plants grow in the same stuff.
I used to mulch with wheat straw but when it got to $5+ per bale (one bale would mulch two beds about 2-3") it hit me. There are a ton of leaves on the property. Brain said, "Use them!" And so we have. My sister just bought a leaf vacuum attachment for the riding mower this past fall and now there are even more leaves to use and a lot less work raking.

They work great and used to get tilled in at the end of the season to prevent overwintering of bugs but for the last two years I've been leaving the leaves on top, loosening the soil with the broadfork and just adding more leaves after planting. I do spray an entire bed surface with pyrethrin immediately after sowing or setting out transplants but before final mulching. So far it has really reduced the flea beetle invasion, especially with a second application as soon as the first shot holing is noticed.
GoDawgs is offline   Reply With Quote