View Single Post
Old September 26, 2015   #6
RayR
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeroma View Post
Thanks Lori D and RayR. Since I don't know this guy - just had my computer tuned up from his Laptop Service, though I'd see what you all knew!

He is convinced it is from the woodchips and I didn't think so. I emailed him some of your information.

Funny I just thought of seeing all the vineyards in California with roses planted at the ends of all the rows, beautiful thing to do I was thinking when we visited many years ago. But it is to catch the fungus as it first gets started.

Zeroma
Zeroma, since he works with computers for a living like i do, I would assume he knows how to use information on the internet to diagnose problems. There's plenty of diagnosis guides on the Net to identify specific plant diseases. Grapes have many, Downy mildew, Powdery Mildew, Anthracnose, Black Mold, Grey Mold and Crown Gall. Apple trees can be plagued by many more diseases.

It's possible that the wood chips could have some disease causing spores on them but then fungal and bacterial spores can be carried on the wind or be embedded in rain drops. Fungi that grow on wood or form mushrooms in the soil are saprophytes, they are the primary decomposers of the tough cellulose and lignin fibers in dead plant matter.
RayR is online now   Reply With Quote