View Single Post
Old January 21, 2017   #38
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmforcier View Post
There is no need to use a multi-meter to change out the switch, unless you are using it to detect any hot wires.

If it's a typical multi-meter, the black lead plugs into the Ground socket and the red lead into the VAC socket. If there's a dial switch on the front set it to some VAC number greater then 120.

Test whether you have it set up correctly by sticking the probes in a live electric socket and read what it says. Analog or digital should read somewhere between 110 and 120. Some analog meters will have multiple scales, so find the right one to read.

Then you can repeat on the switch when you pull it out. I would do it with the breaker on so you can prove to yourself that you're reading the right thing. Then turn the breaker off; you should see that the same reading is now zero.

IMO, it's much easier to use a non-contact voltage detector, but it might not be convenient to acquire one - and not really necessary.
You need a multi meter to test continuity.
With out it you are lost.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhines81 View Post
When I see posts like this I cringe (not that the author does not know how to do things, but because people interpret written words differently).

If you don't know Neutral from Ground from Hot --- PLEASE GET A QUALIFIED ELECTRICIAN. The few bucks you save could mean your house and memories up in flames.

Please be advised that nothing found here has necessarily been reviewed by people with the expertise required to provide you with complete, accurate or reliable information.

I think 26 years as a licensed fire alarm tech and working as a union electrician for some part of that time might have some weight on the subject.
Plus a card holding NICET LEVEL II certification where you have to pass test to prove you know what you are doing.
Before all of that I worked in the field also in high voltage in the oil field wiring up pump jack motors
I do find your comment rather insulting considering my background.
41 years to be exact including school in the Marines too.
Some how I feel I have been called a home DIY hack.
What else can I say.

Worth

Last edited by Worth1; January 21, 2017 at 08:24 PM.
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote