Thread: Rock Dust?
View Single Post
Old April 1, 2015   #37
drew51
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by fonseca View Post
I would not expect to see research on rock dust in the US. Most agricultural university research is corporation-funded, and there's no incentive to research rock dust when it can't be monetized.

But it can be and is actually.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdxwindjammer View Post
I have done hours of research on remineralizing soil and I am convinced that it will provide more nutritious vegetables. It provides minerals, which help the plant take in more nutrients. I am using it now and will see if it makes a difference.
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdxwindjammer View Post

This is not herbicide or pesticide. It is finely ground rock. Can't see how it would be harmful in any way. I don't remember if I provided this link in my original thread but I would encourage you to watch some of the videos within - http://remineralize.org/

Well it can be harmful in many ways. It could contain heavy metals or other contaminants like arsenate. Minerals are easy to add to soils without using rock dust. Some rock dust may take a decade to become available to a plant.
I have some mineral deficiencies and use sulfates to replenish the soil. Sometimes as a foliar spray so it is quickly available to the plant. I have a manganese deficiency in my soil. Manganese sulfate in a foliar spray has solved the problem.
I'm all for using all types of rock dust, but I would not stop using fertilizers with complete trace minerals. Or apply chemicals as needed. To me I don't pay attention much if something is organic or not. Like sulfur to me is a chemical, and I will always consider it as such. Even the word organic to me has to do with carbon chemistry so Agent Orange is technically organic. I wish they would have used another word for organic in gardening, because it already has a meaning.
drew51 is offline   Reply With Quote