Thread: Latah questions
View Single Post
Old April 27, 2016   #10
JLJ_
Tomatovillian™

bower, I have no theory about the selection of Latah -- Greg Wingate's multiyear selection process was described in that pdf to which I linked above -- I just wondered whether anyone had compared it to Latah from other sources. Same thing with the Andy Pollock selection of John Baer -- though I do think that some had done that comparison some years back -- that's how I happen to have a note to watch for the Pollock selection, if I happen to see it around anywhere -- especially with anyone who had been growing and maintaining its quality. There was someone at Tomatoville a few years back who was doing that, I believe, but may have given up the project -- or may just not be around in recent years.

I have mixed feelings about selecting for early development, anyway. It's a good thing for short season areas, but I've tried enough early ones that I regarded as a waste of space that early is only interesting if there's some indication that whoever did the selection also selected for quality, and that the effort has been continued. On the other hand, the poor quality of so many earlies keeps the bar low for those few better earlies . . . and if a tomato really does mature early all they have to do to gain favor is to be better than modern grocery store tomatoes, as when they appear, they have little tomato competition.

Tormato, it's interesting that you also noticed that Latah was an unusually quick starter. Re midsummer flavor -- does it not keep producing through your season, even if it begins early (compared to other varieties)?

bower -- I think your squirrels, bunnies, voles and moose must be more timid than ours. Our voles and bunnies don't hesitate to come into enclosures inhabited by an active Malamute -- and a neighbor has horses that get loose because passing moose ignore flapping, rattling and other noisy things and hop into his horse enclosure -- apparently for the salt -- causing the horses to immediately sign over title to the place to friend moose, and go over the fence and away in search of mooseless quarters.

Your experience makes me think of mine with deer, though, where a variety of fence, noise, and motion detecting water squirters deter deer effectively . . . lulling me into a sense of security . . . until some deer comes along, snickers at its timid conspecifics, bounces over the fence and eats everything in sight.

Hopefully, your wildlife won't include any such adventurous individuals.
JLJ_ is offline   Reply With Quote