View Single Post
Old May 8, 2017   #47
PureHarvest
Tomatovillian™

So some of my yellow tipped plants have gotten worse on one bed. The planting cloves in this bed had some suspicious lesions/rusty marks on them when I separated the bulbs from the supplier last fall. I sent pictures and she said I will send you new ones overnight, they should not look like that.
I looked up what they were and it appeared to be something called stippling. No one seems to know what causes it, and it doesn't seem to affect anything. Looks like a rusty colored dust that doesn't rub off. Knowing I had free replacements coming, I planted then anyway.
So the forming bulb on this year's plants in that bed have small rusty colored lesions and come to find out, it is Fusarium. I should have chucked those cloves and not planted even though they were free, but I thought I would plant and see what happens. The supplier said do whatever you want with them, but did not say anything like TRASH THOSE NOW. Perhaps she didnt want me to have shaken confidence on the other cloves she sent?

Anyway, at worst I am out my labor and I will throw them in the dumpster. At best we will eat some and give some away, and maybe some will be sellable for eating. Certainly not gonna save those for replant. And will probably trash the fabric on that bed just to have piece of mind. That area will never get garlic again now. I don't care how much time goes by. Thankfully, I have enough land to not need that bed again in the future.

I'll try to upload pictures tomorrow.
PureHarvest is offline   Reply With Quote